Youth Councils were created to provide expertise in youth policy for the Workforce Investment Act program and to help local WorkForce Councils to:
- Develop and recommend employment and training policy for eligible youth;
- Expand youth employment and training to make sure it includes a youth development perspective;
- Link with other organizations that serve youth and;
- Take action on issues that affect the success of youth in the labor market.
Youth Council duties include:
- Preparing the local WorkForce Investment Act youth plans;
- Recommend to the local WorkForce Council, which providers should be selected to deliver youth services;
- Oversee the work of those providers who deliver youth activities;
- Design or support other local youth activities;
- Other duties as determined by the chairperson of the local board.